- What principles should guide the state’s role in disaster response and rebuilding?
- Should the state subsidize rebuilding in high-risk areas?
- How should the persistent association of socioeconomic and racial inequality with disaster vulnerability guide disaster policy?
- How should the state balance civil liberties with protecting life and property?
- Is profiting from disaster wrong – when it brings supplies which would otherwise be unavailable? Is price gouging ever justifiable?
Public philosophy on disaster ethics:
“Rebuilding after Disaster: Inequality and the Political Importance of Place,” Social Theory and Practice, 2019
“Price Gouging and the Duty of Easy Rescue,” Economics & Philosophy, 2021
Supported by a Visiting Fellowship at the Center for Values and Social Policy in the University of Colorado at Boulder Philosophy department in 2017.
Video of my lecture on price gouging at Old Dominion University’s Institute for Ethics and Public Affairs, 2018.